NCCU School of Library and Information Sciences
This page contains a list of frequently asked questions. If your question isn’t answered here, you can search the SLIS Website using the search box on the left side of this page or contact the
- When is NCCU’s commencement?NCCU holds two commencement ceremonies — in December and in May. When the exact date of commencement has been announced, we will post the information to the SLIS Website and to the student list.
- I will finish my coursework in the summer. When do I graduate?You will officially graduate in December. The University does not have a summer graduation.
- What if I finish my coursework in the summer and need a letter for my employer stating that I have fulfilled all of the requirements for the degree?We will be happy to provide your employer with a letter stating that you have fulfilled all of the requirements for the degree and that you will receive the degree in December. Simply contact the Dean or the Associate Dean.
- Where do I get a cap and gown for the commencement ceremony?Students can rent or purchase robes for graduation through the NCCU book store.
- I will not be able to attend NCCU’s commencement service. Will the University mail my diploma to me?Yes, but you must contact the Registrar’s Office to have your diploma mailed. Please contact Ms. Iris Hicks by phone at 919-530-6257 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Does NCCU SLIS have graduation with honors?Yes, NCCU SLIS has three levels of graduation with honors. Summa cum laude requires a 4.00 GPA, magna cum laude requires a 3.90, and cum laude requires a 3.75. NCCU SLIS also nominates a certain number of MLS graduates for membership in Beta Phi Mu, the national honor society for library science graduates.
- Does NCCU SLIS have a graduation checklist?Yes, NCCU SLIS has a list for Fall 2010 available here .