Home » Forms » Frequently Asked Questions » Frequently Asked Questions — Grades

Frequently Asked Questions — Grades

This page contains a list of frequently asked questions. If your question isn’t answered here, you can search the SLIS Website using the search box on the left side of this page or contact the Webmaster.

  • What happens if I earn a C in a course?A student who earns a third C will be dropped from the program. Also note that a C may cause your GPA to drop below the 3.0 required to continue in the program.
  • What happens if I fail a course?A grade of F will result in automatic and permanent dismissal from the program. (The student does not have the opportunity to re-take the course)
  • What happens if I receive an Incomplete in a course?A student who receives an Incomplete in a course must agree upon outstanding work and complete the work by the deadlines set by the instructor. All work for an Incomplete must be completed within one calendar year of receiving the Incomplete. Failure to expunge a grade of “I” withing one year will result in the grade of “F” for the course.North Carolina Central University strongly discourages faculty from giving students a grade of Incomplete.

  • What happens if my GPA falls below a 3.00?Students must maintain a GPA of 3.00 or better. If a student falls below that GPA, the student will be given one academic year in which to raise the GPA to 3.00 or better. If not, the student will be dropped from the program.
  • What happens if I plagiarize?NCCU and the School of Library and Information Sciences do not tolerate any form of cheating or plagiarism.As a graduate student, you should know what cheating and plagiarism are, but if you are not sure about what constitutes cheating or plagiarism, see the following resources:

    At the least, plagiarism will earn you an F or a zero on the assignment. It may earn you an F in the course or even lead to your dismissal from the University.

  • What does the grade WC mean?WC means that the student withdrew from the class after the drop/add date. WC’s stay on a student’s record. A student may withdraw from a given class only once. The next time he or she takes the class, he or she must complete it. A student who receives a third WC in all classes will be dropped from the program.
  • Can I appeal a grade that I receive in a course?Yes, the School of Library and Information Sciences follows the NCCU graduate Studies Department grade appeal policy for students who wish to challenge a grade.