NCCU School of Library and Information Sciences
Cooperative Distance Education (Off-Campus Site-Based Courses)
The School of Library and Information Science at North Carolina Central University offers part of its Master of Library Science program through the Department of Library Science at East Carolina University. Under this agreement, the SLIS offers the following course transfer credits:
- LIBS 6010, Foundations of Library and Information Studies equivalent to NCCU LSIS 5000, Foundation of Library and Information Services (3 credits)
- LIBS 6014, Introduction to Reference equivalent to NCCU LSIS 5225, Selection and Use of Information Sources (3 credits)
- LIBS 6031, Library Administration and Management equivalent to NCCU LSIS 5120, Management of Library and Information Systems (3 credits)
- LIBS 6026, Organization of Information Resources in Libraries equivalent to NCCU LSIS 5425, Organization of Information (3 credits)
- and additionally LIBS 6972, Research Methods in Library Studies equivalent to NCCU LSIS 5810, Research Methods
In addition to these courses, NCCU will accept an additional three semester hour course taken at East Carolina University. However, LIBS 6140, Program for School Library Media Centers, at ECU will not be accepted in lieu of LSIS 5130, Administration of the School Media Center, at NCCU, but can be equivalent to LSIS 5614, Information Technologies in Educational Organizations as an ELECTIVE POSSIBLY (it does NOT count as required course in School Libraries).
Students who are seeking an ALA accredited Master of Library Science degree through this arrangement have to first meet the admission requirements of SLIS at NCCU and receive permission from the Dean of NCCU SLIS to enroll in courses designated as NCCU course offerings at ECU. The NCCU SLIS Dean also has to approve the additional three semester hour course taken at ECU.
For information at East Carolina University, contact Dr. Elaine Yontz, Chair and Program Director, Department of Library Science.
Or you can contact Karen Mathis at Student Services, phone 252-328-4373 and fax 252-328-4638.
For information at North Carolina Central University, contact Ms. Jones, Assistant to the Dean, School of Library and Information Sciences, Phone: 919-530-7320 or Email:firstname.lastname@example.org.