NCCU SLIS Graduates Make a Difference!
Every day you and your fellow North Carolina Central University School of Library and Information Sciences alumni positively impact the lives of many people, both professionally and as citizens in your community. Each one of you is important. Each one of you is making a difference in the world in which you live. “Share the Pride” because you and your fellow SLIS alumni are making a difference.
Did you know?
- That NCCU SLIS has over 1400 degree graduates since 1939.
- Hundreds of the graduates are working as North Carolina School Media Coordinators and are positively impacting the lives of many children.
- Two graduates head media services for school districts.
- Five of the 16 constituent UNC schools have SLIS graduates as library directors.
- SLIS was ranked by Library Journal as the 4th most diverse library science program in North America.
- The SLIS faculty ranks number six in research and publication for non-Ph.D. ALA accredited schools.
- Over 20 SLIS graduates are working in the Arabian Gulf States.
- There are SLIS graduates in Jordan, Bahrain, P.R. China, Zambia, Taiwan, Oman, Qatar, Kuwait, Botswana, St. Martin, Bermuda, Nigeria, Japan, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, India, Canada, and the United States.
- There are SLIS graduates working in over half of the 50 states and D.C.
- About 1000 of the SLIS graduates live and work in North Carolina.
- Five graduates are North Carolina Public Library directors and many more are branch heads. There is another director in Nevada and one in South Carolina.
- The Head of Preservation at Brown University is a SLIS graduate.
- The Head of Manuscripts at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is a SLIS graduate.
- SLIS graduates head libraries at Methodist College, Shaw University, Governor Morehead School, Fort Bragg Library, et al.
- The Director and the Database Manager at the Research Center for Time-Warner in New York are SLIS graduates.
- The Alumni Association has a web site at http://www.nccuslis.org/alumni/.
- There are over 300 active students at SLIS, with approximately 225 enrolled each semester.
- Approximately 50 of the SLIS students are in the Master of Information Science Program.
- SLIS graduates are heads of special libraries such as SAS, Reichhold Chemicals, Durham Regional Hospital, Dorothea Dix Hospital, et al.
- SLIS graduates head and work in community college libraries.
- SLIS graduates are department heads in many academic libraries.
- Three graduates are on the faculty and staff at SLIS.
- The library at Fayetteville State University was ranked number one in library service in the UNC system by the university’s students. The director and all the managers are SLIS graduates.
- There are many more instances where the SLIS alumni are “making a difference.”
Share the Pride of Being a SLIS Alumnus
- Share experiences and knowledge with others who work in the same kind of library you do.
- Share with others who have a common concern or interest.
- Use the NCCU SLIS Listserv to share questions, experiences, and knowledge.
- Take advantage of the NCCU SLIS continuing education programs.
- Participate in the educational program at the annual alumni meeting (first Saturday in October).
- Participate in chapter educational programs.
- Renew acquaintances and old friendships.
- Make new friends.
- Get involved in area chapters.
- Experience fellowship on alumni association committees.
- Share your career success on the alumni web page.
Support Your Alma Mater
- Be a student mentor.
- Serve on school committees.
- Contribute to the scholarship funds.
- Contribute to special support funds.
- Recruit students.
- Serve as a lobbyist for SLIS.
- Speak up on university policy issues that affect your school.
- Membership dues are only $10.00 per year.
- Members of the Association are eligible for free SLIS e-mail accounts.
_____ Yes, I’m proud to be an alumnus of the NCCU School of Library and Information Sciences and want to join the Alumni Association. (Please make checks payable to NCCU SLIS Alumni Association)
Name: __________________________________ Year of Graduation: _________
City: __________________________ State: _____ Postal Code: ______________
Home Phone: _____________________ Work Phone: _______________________
E-Mail Address: _____________________________________________________
Where you work and title of job: _________________________________________
Professional Memberships: ______________________________________________
_____ I also would like to contribute to a SLIS scholarship fund. Enclosed is my gift of:
( ) $500 ( ) $250 ( ) $100 ( ) $50 ( ) Other ______
_____ Jenkins-Moore Scholarship Fund (General SLIS Scholarship Fund)
_____ Miriam Ricks Scholarship Fund (For School Media and Early Childhood)
_____ Lightner-Lewis Endowment Fund (In memory of Dr. Annette Phinazee’s Parents)
Double or triple your gift. Ask you personnel office for a matching gift form.
Please make your check payable to the NCCU Foundation, the designated fund-raising agent for North Carolina Central University. This will enable to use your contribution as a tax deduction.
Please mail your membership form and scholarship contributions to: NCCU SLIS Alumni Association, School of Library and Information Sciences, North Carolina Central University, P. O. Box 19586, Durham, NC 27707. Thank you for your support!