Digital Content and Systems Coordinator (Data Manager), Project Euclid
Duke University Press, a not-for-profit scholarly publisher, is seeking a Digital Content & Communications Coordinator to join the Project Euclid team. The Digital Content & Communications Coordinator works closely with the Director of Publishing Services to supervise day-to-day operations of Project Euclid and provides expertise and training in Euclid systems to Press staff and partner-publishers; responsible for successful implementation and maintenance of digital initiatives; coordinates digital content and development for Euclid; manages Euclid’s social media program.
Project Euclid (projecteuclid.org), which is a joint-venture between Duke University Press and Cornell University Library, is a growing multi-publisher electronic publishing platform for mathematics and statistics, with an annual budget of more than one million dollars and includes in excess of 80 journals and 200 monographs from over 35 partner-publishers based all over the world. A successful candidate for this position will be energized by finding creative solutions to business and technology challenges in scholarly publishing.
The position is listed with the University as Job Code 1018, Job Level 10, Job Title of “Data Manager”, and is eligible for Duke University benefits. If interested, please complete the University-required application process, including submission of an electronic cover letter & résumé prior to close of the position at Noon on 03/13/2017. Please apply for requisition number 401231351.
· Job Description:
I. Administrative / Training
- Provide technical expertise to partner-publishers on XML and metadata related issues.
- Serve as Project Euclid liaison to other Duke University Press teams, principally the Customer Relations team, and provide training on Euclid systems and services.
II. Digital Content Production and Development
- Responsible for initial implementation of new publisher websites on Project Euclid; provide training for publishers on metadata preparation procedures and maintain relationships with them; monitor & ensure that metadata is correct; provide support for publisher production issues and assist in metadata preparation as needed.
- Provide oversight & training on publishers’ XML subscription access files.
- Manage & oversee content conversion and digitization projects; coordinate relationships with associated vendors.
- Analyze project needs in regard to metadata and digital content; develop appropriate user manuals, instructional brochures, and other documentation as needed.
- Liaise with IT systems experts and programmers at Duke University Press and Cornell University Library on hardware and software issues affecting accessibility of Euclid content.
- Research & recommend strategies for improving Euclid as a hosting platform; monitor trends in digital content development and scholarly communications.
III. Website Development and Maintenance
- Create website content, write copy, and help resolve site errors; assess competitors’ sites and recommend improvements to Euclid’s website and platform.
IV. Social Media
- Manage Project Euclid’s social media presence; responsible for increasing Euclid visibility.
o Required: Experience with digital content production. Working knowledge of HTML/XML standards and practices, current digital information technologies and publishing formats, digital format specifications, and standards-based metadata schemes and DTDs. Ability to translate technical issues and communicate with both experts and non-experts. Strong project management and problem solving skills, detail-oriented and highly organized; ability to prioritize and juggle many tasks simultaneously. Excellent communication, interpersonal, research, and editing skills. Familiarity with online academic research resources.
o Preferred Qualifications: Familiarity with the TeX typesetting system; familiarity with mathematics and/or statistics.