Reference Services and Outreach Librarian
New York Academy of Medicine
Summary and Description
The Reference Services and Outreach Librarian will be responsible for providing reference services for the Library and coordinating the outreach efforts of the library, particularly its social media presence.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Provides reference support to users of the library
* Collaborates with colleagues in the delivery of public services
* Facilitates the use of databases and resources available in the Library, especially PubMed
* Coordinates the social media presence of the Library across multiple platforms
* Maintains, edits, and writes for the Library blog
* Liaises with other Library and Academy colleagues to coordinate outreach activities
* Maintains and updates Library’s website information.
* Takes part in other special projects as required.
* Familiarity with the databases and other reference tools necessary to answer a wide variety of questions related to the history of public health, health policy, and medicine; experience with PubMed is strongly preferred
* Experience using social media
* Strong oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills, with an ability to communicate complex ideas in an accessible manner
* Strong editing skills
* Experience engaging with diverse audiences, including students, professionals, and the interested public
* Demonstrated commitment to public service
* Physical ability to undertake collection management duties such as movement of books and materials weighing up to 40 lbs., and work in sometimes dusty environments.
* Familiarity with medical terminology
* MLS from an ALA-accredited institution is required
* At least 2-3 years reference experience in a special collections or health sciences library
* Preference will be shown to candidates with working knowledge of one or more major European languages
Please forward cover letter and resume to email@example.com<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=Director%20of%20Development>. Please include Reference Services and Outreach Librarian in the subject line of the email.