Youth Services Consultant
South Carolina State Library
The South Carolina State Library invites applications for the position of Youth Service Consultant. The State Library is the primary administrator of federal and state support for South Carolina’s public libraries. Headquartered in Columbia, S.C., the State Library develops, supports, and sustains a thriving statewide community of learners committed to making South Carolina stronger.
Position Overview: This position requires competency in all aspects of public library children’s services, with an interest in and openness to innovation and the ability to work with public library staff to bring about needed change and implement best practices in delivery of children’s/youth services. A confident, patient, and encouraging approach is needed to work effectively in all kinds of library situations, including rural and underserved communities as well as well-supported libraries. Requires excellent communication skills, including social media, to ensure that the information that benefits children, teens, and their families reaches those audiences. This position is key in developing a strong network of children’s services providers throughout the state.
The Youth Services Consultant performs the following activities:
• Provide consultation and guidance on a broad range of library service topics and practices to public librarians and school librarians throughout the state.
• Collaborate within and outside the SC State Library to create meaningful learning opportunities for librarians.
• Coordinate statewide summer reading activities including special events such as StoryfestSC.
• Coordinate and develop special projects (including grant funded programs) relating to school and public library services for children and teens.
• Act as a liaison between school and public libraries for the coordination of services and furthering collaborative projects and efficiencies.
• Serve as SCSL’s liaison to identified children’s and youth services initiatives and forums at the state and national level; represent South Carolina’s values and positions in regard to children’s and youth library services.
• As part of the Library Development team, support children’s/youth services elements of all projects undertaken by the team.
• Research and recommend for purchase tools and resources for service improvement and innovation statewide; develop expertise and ability to train others in the use of these tools and resources.
• Model meaningful learning and teaching which results in seamless advocacy for school librarians and public librarians and library services for youth.
• Engage in field work to better assess conditions in public libraries, and create strong relationships with other service providers. Collaborate with other agencies, organizations, and school libraries to assess the reading and literacy needs of South Carolina families and children, and ensure the provision of responsive library services. Serve as an advocate and spokesperson for children and youth audiences at each opportunity.
• Undertake all reporting, financial and other paperwork and documentation necessary for the completion of the position responsibilities. The position advises State Library administrators on needed services and resources, and actively works to support agency goals and promote library development.
Minimum Requirement and Additional Requirements:
• Master’s degree from a library school accredited by the American Library Association and four years of experience in a professional library positions with responsibilities related to children’s and youth services. Knowledge of public library principles and practices; broad general educational background.
• Knowledge of principles and practices of public library consulting. Knowledge of typical library issues and problems. Knowledge of programs and resources currently available to address those concerns. Ability to select, plan, schedule and implement programs related to library service areas. Knowledge of the principles and procedures of children’s and youth services in a library setting. Ability to speak confidently in front of a group.
Find a full position description and instructions for applying in the attachment, or on the SC Library Jobs List: http://www.statelibrary.sc.gov/jobs/youth-services-consultant